We went hiking MacLehose Trail Stage 5 (10.6 km in total) on Nov. 13, and climbed to the Lion Rock along MacLehose Trail. It took us about 6 hours including around 1 hour to climb the Lion Rock and lots time for sight view.
My suggested route from our experience:
- Take a taxi to Gilwell Camp Site (基維爾營地) from the Choi Hung (彩虹) MTR Station (or HKUST if you starts there as us).
- Go through the Camp Site’s gate (pass the CampSite Office, a very small gate) to the MacLehose Trail.
- Start from the Tate’s Cairn (大老山; Tai Lo Shan).
- Reaches the west end of MacLehose Trail Section 5: Tai Po Road (大埔公路).
- Take bus 81 at Shek Lei Pui Reservoir (石梨貝水塘) station to Price Edward or Mong Kok MTR station.
More about MacLehose Trail Stage 5: