Zhiqiang received his PhD degree from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2014 and the bachelor's degree from Fudan University in June 2009. His interest includes large-scale distributed computing and storage systems, blockchain systems, operating systems and etc.
E-mail: zma [at] ericzma.com
- GLAD: A high-speed parallel genome analysis system making genome analysis easy and fast on D-thinker. Accelerating analysis by 10s of times on server clusters without requiring much changes to original sequential pipeline implementations.
- Data Thinker (D-thinker): A general, efficient and easy-to-use distributed big data processing engine that is several times faster Spark and 10s of times faster than Hadoop, supporting Java, Python, C/C++, puc, c0/Layer Zero and etc. [Homepage] [Poster (in Chinese)]
- D-store: A scalable, fault-tolerant and easy-to-use distributed large scale data storage system with various underlying storage modules like HDFS and Ceph, supporting data synchronization over WAN.
- Layer Zero (L0): A general-purpose substrate for cloud computing. [Zhiqiang's PhD Thesis: download here or from HKUST Library]
- VOLUME (Virtual On-Line Unified Memory Environment): A distributed virtual memory that unifies the physical memory and disk resources on many compute nodes and form a system-wide data substrate to support large-scale in-memory computation.[CloudCom'13 paper]
- DVM: A distributed virtual machine that comprises a large number of physical hosts. [TC paper] [VEE'12 paper]
- MRlite: A lightweight and efficient parallelization framework for MapReduce-style computation. [CLOUD COMPUTING 2010 paper] [mrcc]
Yang Peng, Kai Chen, Guohui Wang, Wei Bai, Yangming Zhao, Hao Wang, Yanhui Geng, Zhiqiang Ma and Lin Gu. Towards Comprehensive Traffic Forecasting in Cloud Computing: Design and Application. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN). 2015.
Yang Peng, Kai Chen, Guohui Wang, Wei Bai, Zhiqiang Ma and Lin Gu. HadoopWatch: A First Step Towards Comprehensive Traffic Forecasting in Cloud Computing. In Proc. of the 33rd Annual IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2014). Apr. 27-May 2, 2014. Toronto, Canada.
Zhiqiang Ma, Ke Hong and Lin Gu. VOLUME: Enable Large-Scale In-Memory Computation on Commodity Clusters. In Proc. of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom 2013). Dec. 2-5. 2013. Bristol, UK. [Errata]
Ke Hong, Shuo Yang, Zhiqiang Ma, and Lin Gu. A Synergy of the Wireless Sensor Network and the Data Center System. In Proc. of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2013). Oct. 14-16, 2013. Hangzhou, China.
Zhiqiang Ma, Zhonghua Sheng and Lin Gu. DVM: A Big Virtual Machine for Cloud Computing. IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC). vol.63, no.9, pp.2245,2258, Sept. 2014.
Lin Gu, Zhonghua Sheng, Zhiqiang Ma, Xiang Gao, Charles Zhang and Yaohui Jin. K Means of Cloud Computing: MapReduce, DVM, and Windows Azure. In Proc. of the Fourth International Conference on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization (CLOUD COMPUTING 2013). May. 27 - Jun. 1, 2013. Valencia, Spain.
Zhiqiang Ma, Zhonghua Sheng, Lin Gu, Liufei Wen and Gong Zhang. DVM: Towards a Datacenter-Scale Virtual Machine. In Proc. of the 2012 ACM SIGPLAN/SIGOPS International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments (VEE 2012). Mar. 3-4, 2012. London, UK, co-located with ASPLOS 2012. [Presentation]
Zhonghua Sheng, Zhiqiang Ma, Lin Gu and Ang Li. A Privacy-Protecting File System on Public Cloud Storage. In Proc. of the 2011 International Conference on Cloud and Service Computing (CSC 2011). Dec. 12-14, 2011. Hong Kong.
Zhiqiang Ma and Lin Gu.The Limitation of MapReduce: A Probing Case and a Lightweight Solution. In Proc. of the 1st Intl. Conf. on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization (CLOUD COMPUTING 2010). Nov. 21-26, 2010. Lisbon, Portugal. [Presentation]
Patents and tech reports
- Lin Gu, Zhiqiang Ma, Zhonghua Shen and Liufei Wen. Patent: Task Processing Method and Virtual Machine. US14738436.
- Lin Gu, Zhiqiang Ma and Yulong Zeng. Patent: Method, apparatus and system for coordinating execution of tasks in a computing system having a distributed shared memory. US14471198. Dec. 1, 2015.
- Lin Gu, Zhiqiang Ma, Zhonghua Sheng and Liufei Wen. Patent: 一种任务处理的方法和虚拟机. P.R.C. Patent CN201210543870.4, Dec. 14, 2012.
- Lin Gu, Zhiqiang Ma and Yulong Zeng. Patent: 用于分布式共享存储的任务同步方法、装置及系统. P.R.C. Patent CN201210047777.4, Feb. 28, 2012.
- Zhiqiang Ma, Ke Hong and Lin Gu. MapReduce-Style Computation in Distributed Virtual Memory. HKUST Technical Report HKUST-CS14-003. 2012.
- Zhaohua Li, Zhiqiang Ma and Lin Gu. Distributed Generic Name Service. HKUST Technical Report HKUST-CS12-02. 2012.
- Zhonghua Sheng, Ang Li, Zhiqiang Ma and Lin Gu. BIFS: A Bit-Interleaving File System for Strong Privacy Protection on Emerging Online Storage. HKUST Technical Report HKUST-CS10-07. 2010.
Presentations, demos and professional activities
Panel Speaker. In "Big Data Startups" forum for Hong Kong Big Data Symposium 2015. May. 28, 2015. Hong Kong Science Park.
External reviewer. For IEEE INFOCOM 2015.
Large-Scale In-Memory Data Processing. PhD Thesis Defence. Aug. 12, 2014, HKUST. [Abstract] [PDF from HKUST library]
Large-Scale In-Memory Data Processing. PhD Thesis Proposal Defence. Apr. 9, 2014, HKUST. [Abstract]
Layer Zero: An Efficient Platform for Cloud Computing. Poster and demo (Performance comparison between Layer Zero and Hadoop for k-means clustering) at China Hi-Tech Fair 2012 (CHTF 2012). Nov. 16-21, 2012, Shenzhen, China. [Poster, 8.0MB, in Chinese]
Layer Zero: Building Software Infrastructure for Cloud Computing. Invited talk and demo at the Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences (ISCAS). Aug. 16, 2012, Beijing, China.
DVM: Towards a Datacenter-Scale Virtual Machine. The 2012 ACM SIGPLAN/SIGOPS International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments (VEE 2012). Mar. 3-4, 2012, London, UK. [Slides, 2.3MB, best viewed in presentation mode]
Survey on Programming and Tasking in Cloud Computing Environments. PQE at HKUST. Feb. 18, 2011, HKUST. [Abstract] [Slides, 2.5MB]
The Limitation of MapReduce: A Probing Case and a Lightweight Solution. The 1st Intl. Conf. on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization (CLOUD COMPUTING 2010). Nov. 21-26, 2010, Lisbon, Portugal. [Slides, 1.5MB]
Zhiqiang worked as teaching assistants for the following courses at HKUST.
- COMP 4611: Design and Analysis of Computer Architectures (Fall 2012)
- COMP 4622: Computer Communication Networks II (Fall 2011)
- COMP 362: Computer Communication Networks II (Fall 2010)
- COMP 231: Database Systems (Spring 2010)
- COMP 102: Computer and Programming Fundamental I (Fall 2009)
Software releases and tutorials
cc0 - a compiler for the C0/Puc language. [Puc manual]
- Puc is a C-like language with linguistic support for massive parallelism on a modern compute cluster.
libi0 - libi0 is a general library for writing Puc code targeted i0. [Code tree]
- i0 the ISA for Data Thinker which unifies myriads of nodes in the datacenters to form a big virtual machine.
mrcc - A Distributed C Compiler System on MapReduce. [Homepage]
- An efficient distributed compilation tool for cloud computing systems based on Hadoop or MRlite.
zlog - A C In-memory Logging Library. [Homepage]
- A low-latency, efficient and easy-to-use in-memory logging library.
SysTutorials - Tutorials, howtos and tips on Linux and more. [Website]
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
PhD Computer Science and Engineering
Aug. 2009 - Aug. 2014 Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Fudan University, Shanghai
B.S. Computer Science and Engineering
Sep. 2006 - Jun. 2009 School of Computer Science
Sep. 2005 - Jul. 2006 School of Mathematical Sciences
- HKUST Research Travel Grant, 2012 and 2010
- VEE 2012 Travel Grant, 2012
- HKUST Postgraduate Studentship, 2009 - present
- Outstanding Graduate of Fudan University, 2009
- People's Scholarship, 2nd Prize, 2009
- Excellent Student of Fudan University, 2009
- People's Scholarship, 1st Prize, 2008
- Tung OOCL Scholarship, 2008
- Excellent Student of Fudan University, 2008
- Excellent League Member of Fudan University, 2008
- People's Scholarship, 2nd Prize, 2007
- People's Scholarship, 3rd Prize, 2006
- Freshmen's Scholarship of Fudan University, 2005
Another homepage | SysTutorials | Highly Scalable Systems | Eric's Blog
Tools: JPG to EPS Converter | What is My IP? | Linux Man Pages
Last updated Oct. 1, 2018.